Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mom

Today I wished the mother of our children a Happy Mother's Day with a card and flowers. Of course I will also take her out to a nice restaurant after church today. It is also our 29th Anniversary today - so I bought another card. Took her out Friday night for that one.

My mother is in heaven and I hope she realizes how much her love and devotion shaped my life. She has been gone 25 years this month - half of my life. I can't number the times I've wished I could pick up the phone and call her or have her with us sharing the important events of life. She wasn't with us when our three children graduated from high school or college or for their weddings. (I found places to go off alone and cry over her and dad not being there.) She won't be there for the birth of her first great-grandchild. I'm glad I had her for 25 years. I'm glad I will see her again in heaven.

The premature death of my parents has caused me to view life from an eternal perspective more often than from a temporal one. But it has also left an empty spot at times in my heart.

Why not try something new for Mother's Day this year? Show love to someone who doesn't have a mother with them. Perhaps you can find an orphaned child in another country who needs your love and prayers and financial help.

"He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others." (2 Corinthians 1:4, NLT)

If your mom isn't with you today and you need a friend, call on God. And if you need another weak human to call on - call on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home