Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Death and Taxes

Been working on my income taxes in preparation for paying Uncle Sam. Ben Franklin said, In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Well Ben, thank God this world is not all there is!

As I get ready to celebrate Easter I am reminded that Christ made it possible to live forever in the next world! No death or taxes there!

Many times I am ashamed to say I live like this world is all there is. I'm not living the life of an ornery and perverse individual but there are many more ways to neglect a proper eternal focus than that.

* I wonder do I love God ardently enough and show it by seeking after His will in everything I think and say and do?

* I wonder do I confront enough people passionately enough with the Good News about Jesus that brings abundant and eternal life?

* I wonder, since this life is not all there is, am I too worried about things like taxes in the first place? When Simon Peter was concerned about paying his taxes Jesus sent him fishing. (Matthew 17:24-27)

When those of us who have received God's grace get to heaven how many choices and worries in this shadow-life will we regret?

Things like death and taxes may actually do us a favor. They teach us not to get too attached to this vaporous world. (James 4:14)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home