Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Monday, March 20, 2006

I Don't Miss the Daily Newspaper


About a month ago I stopped having the daily newspaper delivered to my home. I thought I might miss it but I don't. Besides saving several dollars every month by not subscribing, a lot of the news was repetitive from things I had read on the Internet anyway. Even on days when I didn't think I had the time I would spend thirty minutes to an hour perusing the paper because I felt obligated. Now I feel more unfettered and this little experience of new-found liberty has me thinking, "what else is in my life that I could really do without?"

Since it really is true sometimes that "less is more", several years ago I started paring down my personal library. As much as I love books this wasn't easy. Some books I've given away, some I've been trading or selling in order to buy more books to read and give away or sell, etc. It was no use having books collecting dust on my shelves when someone else could benefit from the information in them. At first I thought about having a lending library at church but since this would take too much paperwork it wouldn't achieve the goal of making my life easier and leaner. So I just put books in a couple of bookcases in the church entry hall and let folks take what they want when they want. It really is a joy when someone tells me how a book was informative or inspiring to them.

What have you done to simplify your life lately?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home