Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Changing the Name of the Church

Survey:

We're considering changing the name of our church. Not for our sake, we don't mind the name we have now. But surveys of unchurched people show that when they see a denomination's name like "Baptist", "Methodist", "Presbyterian", etc., they think or feel like they won't fit in that church.

So why have an unnecessary barrier as a primary hurdle for an unchurched person to jump?

I won't debate the issue but if anyone out there is reading, which do you prefer, and if you have the time and you are so inclined please tell me why you have a preference.

If you are not a member of this blog site and would care to send me an email, please do so at atwood@knology.net.

Here are the two possible church names the leadership of our church has narrowed our choices down to due to our vision statement, etc.

Discovery Church or Pathway Church.

Have an opinion? Please let me know. Thanks.

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:03:00 AM , Blogger Pastor Jeff Lawson said...

    Hey Brian, I struggle with the same thing. We are Hawley Alliance Church, and for the majority of people they have no idea what "Alliance" is. So I always say, "we are like the baptist denomination" because that was my upbringing.

    A lot of church's are even taking the name "church" out of their name. It is like they want people to come and be surprized that they have went to church!

    Personally, my plug would be to stay the same. You have continuity with what you have already established! Just my ramblings...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home