Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

LEAVE NOTHING

The first week of the NFL season is over and I have to say I'll be watching more this year than usual due to the fantasy league of our church.

I usually watch the games while simultaneously surfing the web. When a commercial comes on I often turn my back to the tube and check my email or chat with the other league members.

One of the times I turned away from the TV screen and back to the computer screen for a commercial my attention was arrested because I heard music from the soundtrack to one of my all-time favorite movies - "The Last of the Mohicans," starring Daniel Day-Lewis.

http://ballhype.com/story/shawne_merriman_steven_jackson_nike_ad/

The song Nike uses for their new ad is a Celtic sounding tune that plays in the movie when Chingachgook is running to fight Magua. My heart races and emotions soar everytime I hear that score and see those mountains and know that good is going to prevail over evil! (If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about, and I wont get sidetracked into the movie right now or I would write several pages.)

I believe the commerical, directed by Michael Mann, has NFL players like Shawne Merriman and Steven Jackson in it but I'm not sure. But at the end of the commercial after these guys have run up and down the football field, braving their opponents AND the elements, two words flash on the screen...

"LEAVE NOTHING"

WOW! I do not normally respond positively to TV commercials but this one was an exception.

This is one of the good things about sports. I know there is a lot of garbage with Michael Vick and dogfights, Barry Bonds and steroids, Bill Belichick and cheating, etc. But athletic competition represents quite a few principles about life that really matter.

And this is one of them.

I want it to be said when my soul leaves this planet that I left nothing! I may have been tackled for losses, intercepted, injured and even lost a lot of games. But at least I can say I gave it my all.

If that sounds sappy to you and you don't understand the paralell between sports and life then find the atmosphere that helps you breathe and go live in it. I'm going to keep enjoying sports like the Apostle Paul did.

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:55:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The commercial "Leave Nothing" left me with the same reaction... WOW! that's it, Leave Nothing. Put it all out there, give it every ounce of what you have, no matter what "IT" is. Leave nothing in your worship, leave nothing in your sport, leave nothing in your relationships.... What a perfect phrase to motivate. I Love It!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home