Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Kids Say the Coolest Things

I get a kick out of taking a turn teaching the elementary kids on Wednesday nights.

The last two times I've taught them I decided to give them a little Bible survey. Nothing complicated, but an idea of what every book in the Bible is about with some spiritual applications.

To add some fun I played Bible Bingo with them, had some prizes for the winners.

Last month we surveyed the 29 books of the New Testament; last night, the 39 books of the Old Testament.

When the name of a book of the Bible was pulled out of the hat, they looked on their card to see if they had that book. I would give a quick spiritual lesson on what the book was about, then ask them a question. They had to answer the question to get a chip on that spot. The questions weren't difficult, just things to get them to think about application of the Word of God, or share something about themselves.

Here are just some of the books of the Bible we talked about, the questions I gave and their responses, which tickled me and sometimes impressed me with their depth of understanding:


  • Luke: Jesus, the Son of Man. After I briefly talked about Jesus being a human being just like us I asked "How would you spend one hour with Jesus if you could?" Answers: One boy said, "Playing." Another said, "Praying," and a third child said, "Video Games!"
  • Romans: How to know God. I reminded them that the most important thing in life is to know God. Question: Why do you think some people don't know God? Answers: "Some people don't have the guts or they think it's boring to know God." "Some people have never heard."
  • Colossians: Jesus is boss (Lord). When do you like to receive instructions? "When I'm learning something new, like how to swim." "When I'm trying to put something together."
  • 2 Timothy: The pastor. What do you think is the most enjoyable part of the pastor's job? "Telling people about God." "Seeing people change."
  • 3 John: Being humble instead of being proud. How can we show our humility? "Admit when we've done wrong." "Serve others."

Some of the Old Testament questions and answers:

  • Genesis: Beginnings. Tell when and where you were born. "It was at the hospital and I think it was on my birthday."
  • Joshua: A general leading God's people in battle. If you were in the military, would you rather be in the army, navy, air force, or marines. "I'd rather be a marine because I like the beach."
  • 1 Kings: King Solomon. If you were rich, name one thing you would do. "Buy a big house with a pool." "I would change the prices on everything."
  • 2 Chronicles: History review. Name one historical fact that you know. "We watched a video on Tiger Woods in Social Studies."
  • Esther: The Queen saves her people. Name one thing we can do to help others. "I watched a Veggie Tales movie about Esther." "Help the elderly cross the street." "Give food to the hungry."
  • Ezekiel: The exciting future of God's people. What do you most look forward to as an adult? "I got nothin'."
  • Habakkuk: God's patience. Do you like to go fast or slow and why? "Fast, so I can get things done." "Fast, 'cause I like it!"

Kids say the coolest things.

3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:47:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I didn't know you taught sometimes. I'm sure the kids think thats neat. I also liked your questions. Awhile back we had a kid here in Sunday School who didn't know any of the 'church' songs. He wanted to sing one for us so off he went. After he was finished another little girl said...'that's from a soap opera!.' (Brooke)

     
  • At Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:08:00 AM , Blogger amydc said...

    Kids say the darndest things.

     
  • At Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:01:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brian, Your commitment to the next generation is showing! I loved the kids comments! "out of the mouth of babes...!"

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home