Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Quotable Quotes

Besides all the fantastic and familiar things said in the Bible I have found a few things other people said that bear repeating. Some are inspiring, some thought-provoking, some humorous, others just plain interesting.

"You do not test the resources of God until you try the impossible!" (F. B. Meyer)

"Care more than others think wise.
Risk more than others think safe.
Dream more than others think practical.
Expect more than others think possible." (Anonymous)

"Rules without relationships lead to rebellion." (Josh McDowell)

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have one single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me!" (Erma Bombeck)

"Carve your name on hearts, not on marble." (Charles Spurgeon)

"Lord, I crawled across the barrenness to You with my cup empty, uncertain in asking any small drop of refreshment. If only I had known you better, I'd have come running with a bucket!" (Nancy Speigleberg in Billy Graham's "Decision" Magazine, November, 1974)

"Went to church today and was not greatly depressed." (Robert Louis Stevenson)

"The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said." (Peter Drucker)

"Don't worry that children never listen to you. Worry that they are always watching you." (Robert Fulghum)

"Life is like pizza. Even when it's bad it's good." (Paula Devico in TV Guide)

"I was going to buy a copy of The Power of Positive Thinking and then I thought, 'What good would that do?'" (Ronnie Shanken)

"An optimist is a man who, finding himself in hot water, decides he needs a bath anyway." (Anonymous)

"Faith is not the opposite of reason. Faith rests squarely upon reason but with the added component of revelation." (Famed geneticist Francis Collins, TIME magazine, November 13, 2006)

"People aren't looking for information about God. They want to experience God, himself." (Mark Tabb, Mission to Oz)

"Jesus promised those who would follow Him only three things...that they would be absurdly happy, entirely fearless, and always in trouble." (Gregg Levoy, Christian Career Center Newsletter, November 12, 2003)

"What must die in every pastor is the subconscious desire to please people. What must not die is the will to love. There's the risk." (David Hansen, The Art of Pastoring)

Perhaps some more tomorrow...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home