Contemplations

What I've been thinking and what I've been reading for you to compare notes.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

American Idiot

Deb and I are big AI fans. We laughed our heads off last night watching the season 8 premiere. One of the reasons I have been a fan since season 1 is the laughter. Deb didn't start watching with me until she heard me laughing from the other end of the house.
Sometimes I wonder if I should laugh at the untalented contestants who make fools of themselves. But I keep watching. I like the competition aspect of the show, and of course the talent, but I think the producers know that "funny" is an essential ingredient to a winning formula. I just hate to see the contestants who've been lied to by family or friends who've told them they have real talent when they stink it up.
Note to all of us: don't lie to people and tell them things about themselves that aren't true. It's good to compliment others - but don't go overboard. They're believing you may lead to embarrassment later in life when the truth surfaces.
I think some of the contestants know they're lousy - they just want recognition or they're pulling a prank. Some may have even lost a bet - I don't know. But I'm sure the tears of some who bomb at the auditions aren't the crocodile kind.

I am trying hard not to think that Jesus is displeased with my laughter at others on this show. I've already given up watching extreme fighting because I don't think the Lord approves. I hope the Holy Spirit doesn't make me give up AI for laughing at people.

2 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:13:00 AM , Blogger Jeff said...

    One of my favorites too. I especially enjoyed last night and the man who brought his family. Simon showed he does have a heart!

     
  • At Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:00:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've actually been meaning to comment here about your AI post. When I read this awhile back I wasn't sure we would be able to watch any shows. We found it online and have really been enjoying it. There aren't many shows where we laugh out loud so that's nice! :) I did think it was sad on one episode where a guy said something like he just wanted someone to tell him he was good at something. :( That's probably what a lot of those people need.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home